- Whole Chicken1 Kilogramscut into serving pieces
- Water6 Cups
- Celery11 stalk, inducing leaves, halved
- Onion11 nos, medium, halved and pierced with 2 cloves garlic
- Carrot11 nos, halved
- Dried basil1/2 Teaspoonssage or thyme
- Bay leaves22 nos
- parsley (or coriander leaves)33 sprigs
Chicken broth is widely used for variety of non-veg dishes including soups and gravy etc. You can even drink it to boost your immune system. Though there are ready-made chicken broth or chicken stocks available in market but it is better if you prepare the chicken stock at home. You can freeze it into ice cube tray and keep in the freezer, bag them into zip lock bags; and when need just thaw.
Preparation Steps for Home Made Low Fat Chicken Broth
1. Bring the water to boil in a heavy bottom pan.
2. Cut the chicken into small bite size pieces and add it to the boiling water, as you boil the chicken you will notice particles rising to the top of the water, go ahead and carefully skim this off, it’s fat.
3. Now add all the remaining ingredients and let the chicken broth simmer uncovered for 2 hours on low flame.
4. After 2 hours of simmer, stop the gas and strain broth through a fine sieve. Discard the vegetables. Any chicken remaining can be saved for another meal or possibly made into a chicken salad.
5. Let the broth cool at room temperature, skim off any remaining fat.
6. Your home made low fat chicken broth is ready. Refrigerate it in ice cubes and keep refrigerated in zip lock bags. Whenever you need, just thaw the required cubes.
You can keep refrigerated chicken stock for 1 month.