- Onion (Pyaz)2 Noslarge
- Ginger Fresh (Adrak)1/2 inch piecefresh and peeled
- Garlic (Lahsun)1 whole bulb
- Carrot (Gajar)2 Nosmedium sized
- Black Pepper (Kali Mirch)2 to 3 Nos
- Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)1 Nos
- Celery Stalk (Ajmoda)2 stalks
Vegetable stock or also known as vegetable broth is used in variety of vegetarian recipes. Here we bring this wonderful Homemade Vegetable Stock Recipe for you. It is recommended that you use home made vegetable stock instead of ready-made vegetable stocks available in market. Garlic flavour is the base flavour of vegetable stock. Its very easy to prepare your own vegetable stock at home. So let see the steps below.
Preparation Steps for Homemade Vegetable Stock
Vegetable Stock is prepared by simmering a variety of vegetables with an aromatic blend of few spices in it. So let see the preparation steps for this Vegetable Broth below.
- Cut a peeled and halved onion into large chunks.
- Slice the celery stalks into large pieces from bottom side. Because the outside of the bunch are bitter and should not be added to the stock. So remove and discard these leaves from the celery stalks.
- Peel the carrots and chop into large pieces. Remember, the carrot skin contains most of it’s natural nutrients, so if you would like to preserve more of the carrot’s natural nutrients, do not peel it. But instead, scrub the carrot under cold running water to wash properly and then chop the carrot into large pieces.
- Break up the whole bulb of Garlic into individual cloves and peel these garlic cloves. We are using a full bulb of garlic because garlic is the base flavor in vegetable stock.
- Once you are ready with all the prepared ingredients, mix them in a large stockpot with enough water to cover all of the vegetables.
- Add Peppercorns (Black Pepper), Bay Leaf and fresh peeled Ginger.
- Put it on a high temperature till it starts boiling. Once the water starts boiling, bring temperature down and simmer the vegetables on low flame for one hour. Keep the pot covered with a lid while simmering (But do not pressure cook).
- Make sure you do not overcook, otherwise the vegetables will begin to loss their nutrients.
- Strain your vegetable stock with a fine straining device.
- Your vegetable stock is ready, let it cool and preserve in a glass bottle in refrigerator.
You may also like to check out some more great recipes below
The stock should be light in color, sweet, and translucent. You can refrigerate this vegetable stock for up to 1 month bottled in freezer.