- Chicken500 Gm (Grams)
- Garlic (Lahsun)2 NosFOR YAKHNI - (20 to 25 Garlic Cloves)
- Green Chillies (Hari Mirch)5 NosFOR YAKHNI
- Onion (Pyaz)2 NosFOR YAKHNI - (Diced)
- Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)2 NosFOR YAKHNI
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)FOR YAKHNI
- Cloves (Laung)5 NosFOR YAKHNI
- Black Pepper (Kali Mirch)20 NosFOR YAKHNI
- Cardamom Black (Badi ilaichi)1 NosFOR YAKHNI
- Aniseed (Saunf)2 Tsp (Teaspoons)FOR YAKHNI
- Coriander Seeds (Dhania Sabut)2 Tsp (Teaspoons)FOR YAKHNI
- Salt (Namak)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)FOR YAKHNI
- Rice (Chawal)500 Gm (Grams)If Roasted Basmati Rice - Wash and Soak for 1 Hour. If Raw Basmati Rice - Wash and Soak for 20 Minutes
- Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)2 Nos
- Cardamom Green (Chhoti ilaichi)3 Nos
- Cardamom Black (Badi ilaichi)2 Nos
- Cloves (Laung)5 Nos
- Black Pepper (Kali Mirch)20 Nos
- Star Anise (Chakra Phool)1 Nos
- Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)1 Nos1 inch piece
- Mace (Javitri)2 Nos
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Onion (Pyaz)2 NosThinly Sliced
- Green Chillies (Hari Mirch)4 Nos
- Tomato (Tamatar)1 NosChopped
- Curd (Dahi)1 Cups
- Ginger Garlic Paste (Adrak Lahsun ka Paste)2 Tsp (Teaspoons)Preferably Homemade
- Nutmeg (Jaifal, Jayfal)1/4 Tsp (Teaspoons)Crushed
- Salt (Namak)1/2 Tsp (Teaspoons)Adjust to taste
In this recipe video learn how to make yummy muradabadi chicken yakhni biryani. This chicken yakhni pulao recipe is one of the most popular chicken biryani recipes in North India. In this chicken biryani recipe, biryani is prepared in yakhni. A Yakhni is kind of a soup of spices and chicken. Muradabadi yakhni biryani or yakhni pulao is prepared in two steps. In first step, we prepare yakhni by boiling chicken along with some whole spices. And in second step, we prepare chicken biryani in same prepared chicken yakhni. This yakhni biryani is also known as chicken yakhni pulao.
There are two most loved variations of biryanis in Asian continent. First one is Hyderabadi Biryani and second one is Yakhni Biryani or yakhni pulao. Yakhni biryani is especially popular in North India and tastes amazingly delicious. As rice are cooked along with juice of spices and chicken, you will feel the taste of biryani in every rice grain. It’s very easy to prepare restaurant style muradabadi yakhni chicken biryani. So, let’s see how to prepare this easy, yummy and spicy yakhni chicken biryani recipe at home. #chickenbiryanirecipe #yakhnibiryani #merirasoi #chickenyakhnibiryani
Step 1 – Wash and Soak Basmati Rice
The very first step to make any Biryani is to wash and soak the Rice. Quality of Rice is very crucial here. Always try to use high quality Basmati Rice if you really want a perfect Biryani. For this Yakhni Chicken Biryani too, take high quality Basmati Rice.
There are two variations of Basmati Rice available in market. First one is raw Basmati Rice and the second one is roasted selha Basmati Rice. You can take any one of these Basmati Rice for this Chicken Biryani. The only difference comes into the timing required for soaking the Rice and in giving the “Dum”.
If you are taking Selha Basmati Rice, then soak the Rice for 1 hour. But if you are taking raw Basmati Rice, then you just need to soak the Rice for 20 minutes before you make the Biryani.
So wash and soak 500 Grams Basmati Rice as per the time required based on type of Basmati Rice.
Step 2 – Prepare Yakhni for Chicken Biryani
Chicken Yakhni is kind of a Chicken soup cooked along with Chicken and some spices. Follow these simple recipe instructions to make Chicken Yakhni for muradabadi Yakhni Chicken pulao or Yakhni Chicken Biryani. To make Biryani of 500 Grams Rice, follow the given quantity exactly.
- In a large pan, take 1.5 liters of water.
- For spices – add 20 to 25 Garlic Nos Cloves, 4 to 5 Nos Green Chillies, 2 Nos Onions (Diced), 2 Nos Bay Leaf, 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds, 4 to 5 Nos Cloves, 19 to 20 Nos Black Peppers, 1 Nos Black Cardamom, 2 Tsp Fennel Seeds, 2 Tsp Whole Coriander Seeds and 1 Tsp Salt.
- Let the water come to a boil at high heat. As when water starts boiling, reduce the gas flame to medium.
- Let the spices boil for 5 to 6 minutes at medium flame so that the juices of spices will be extracted into water properly.
- Then after 5 to 6 minutes, add 500 Grams Chicken pieces into this boiling water. We hadn’t added the Chicken at starting because Chicken will cook faster. So add Chicken only after 5 to 6 minutes of boiling.
- This water, boiling with Chicken and spices is called Chicken Yakhni.
- Now let this Chicken Yakhni boiling covered at medium flame for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Then when Chicken Yakhni is ready, take the Chicken pieces out one by one from this Yakhni water and keep aside. See Recipe Video Here.
- Strain the Yakhni water so whole spices should be separated out and you should have clean Yakhni water. Keep this Yakhni water aside as we are going to make Biryani in this same Yakhni water. That’s why this recipe is called Yakhni Biryani.
Step 3 – Let’s See How to Make the Chicken Yakhni Biryani or Chicken Yakhni Pulao
Time needed: 1 hour.
So now, while our Chicken Yakhni is ready, this is the time to make Chicken Yakhni Biryani. Follow these simple recipe instructions to make muradabadi Yakhni Chicken Pulao or Yakhni Chicken Biryani.
- Heat 3 to 4 TBsp refined cooking oil in a large and heavy bottomed pan. When Oil is hot, add 2 Nos thinly sliced Onions.
- Fry the onions for 2 minutes and add all the whole spices i.e. 2 Nos Bay Leaf (तेज पत्ता), 3 Nos Green Cardamom (छोटी इलाइची), 2 Nos Black Cardamom (बड़ी इलाईची)¸ 4 to 5 Nos Cloves (लौंग), 15 to 20 Nos Black Peppers (काली मिर्च), 1 Nos Star Anise (चक्र फूल), 1 inch piece of Cinnamon Stick (दालचीनी), 2 Nos Mace (जावित्री) and 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds (जीरा).
- Fry these whole spices for 2 minutes till the Onions start being light golden in color.
- When Onions start being golden brown, add Chicken pieces which we had taken out of Yakhni water.
- Fry the Chicken for 4 to 5 minutes at high flame.
- Then add Ginger Garlic Paste. Prefer to use homemade Ginger Garlic paste.
(To make Ginger Garlic paste at home, take 40% Ginger and 60% Garlic in a grinder and grind with little water to form a fine paste.) You can keep this homemade Ginger Garlic Paste for 15 days if keep in refrigerator.
- Then fry for 4 to 5 more minutes till you get the nice frying marks on Chicken pieces. See Recipe Video Here.
- Now switch the gas flame to low as we have to add the Curd. Always remember to add curd in any recipe at low flame only.
- So add 1 cup beaten Curd, ¼ Tsp crushed Nutmeg powder, 1 Nos chopped Tomatoes, 4 Nos thinly sliced Green Chillies and ½ Tsp Salt.
- Fry for 4 to 5 minutes at high flame. See Recipe Video Here.
- Now at this point add the strained Chicken Yakhni water and let it come to a boil at high flame.
- Now at this stage you can check the salt in biryani water and adjust as per your taste.
- When water comes to the boil, add soaked Rice. Gently mix once and then let them cook at medium flame.
- Let the Rice cook till they are about 95% cooked and it has very less water left in bottom. Rest 5% will be cooked in “Dum” process. And this the time to give Chicken Biryani a Dum.
- Dissolve a pinch of red food color in 1 Tsp water and sprinkle this water onto the Rice. Also sprinkle some fried Onions. See Recipe Video Here.
- To give “Dum” to this Yakhni Chicken Biryani, take a wet and clean thick cotton cloth and cover the pan mouth all along with this cloth.
- Then on top of the cloth, put the lid and put some weight over the lid so that the steam should not easily pass away. See Recipe Video Here.
- Switch gas flame to lowest and let it simmer for 10 minutes, if you have taken Selha Basmati Rice. But if have taken the Raw Basmati Rice, then give the Biryani this “Dum” only for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Once the Dum process is complete, open the lid and your yummy muradabadi Yakhni Chicken Dum Biryani is ready. Serve hot with your favorite chutney and raita.
Hope you will enjoy this yummy Moradabadi Chicken Yakhni Biryani. Now check out few more great recipes from Meri Rasoi.
Lal Masoor Dal Tadka Recipe | Lal Masoor Dal Recipe | Red Lentils Recipe | ढाबा स्टाइल लाल मसूर दाल
Indian Masala Omelette Recipe | Spicy Omelets Recipe | नार्मल आमलेट से हो बोर तो बनाइये मसाला आमलेट
Restaurant Style Mutter Paneer Recipe | एकदम रेस्टोरेंट जैसा मटर पनीर घर पे बनायें बिलकुल आसानी से
Home Made Biryani Masala Recipe | How to Make Biryani Masala at Home | Biryani Masala
Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani | Mutton Dum Biryani Recipe | Layer Biryani Recipe
Restaurant Style Chilli Chicken | Chilli Chicken Recipe | Chinese Chicken
Restaurant Style Chicken 65 Recipe | Easy Chicken 65 Recipe
Kadai Chicken Recipe | How To Make Kadai Chicken | Restaurant Style