- Mutton600 Gm (Grams)
- Green Chillies (Hari Mirch)5 NosFOR MUTTON MARINATION - (coarsely grind to make a paste)
- Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)1/2 Tsp (Teaspoons)FOR MUTTON MARINATION
- Salt (Namak)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)FOR MUTTON MARINATION
- Biryani Masala Powder2 Tsp (Teaspoons)FOR MUTTON MARINATION - See the recipe link for Biryani Masala Powder in Description
- Turmeric Powder (Haldi Powder)1/2 Tsp (Teaspoons)FOR MUTTON MARINATION
- Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)FOR MUTTON MARINATION
- Ginger Garlic Paste (Adrak Lahsun ka Paste)2 Tsp (Teaspoons)FOR MUTTON MARINATION - Preferably Homemade
- Lemon Juice (Neembu Ras)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)FOR MUTTON MARINATION
- Curd (Dahi)1 CupsFOR MUTTON MARINATION
- Onion (Pyaz)1 NosFOR MUTTON MARINATION - Sliced and Fried Onions
- Coriander Leaves (Hara Dhania)1/2 CupsFOR MUTTON MARINATION
- Rice (Chawal)500 Gm (Grams)Basmati Rice, washed and soaked in water for 1 hour
- Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)1 NosFOR COOKING RICE
- Cardamom Green (Chhoti ilaichi)2 NosFOR COOKING RICE
- Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)1 NosFOR COOKING RICE - 1 inch piece
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)FOR COOKING RICE
- Salt (Namak)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)FOR COOKING RICE
- Vegetable Oil1 Tsp (Teaspoons)FOR COOKING RICE
- Lemon Juice (Neembu Ras)1/2 Tsp (Teaspoons)FOR COOKING RICE
Learn how to make Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani at home. There are lots of varieties of biryani recipes. Hyderabadi biryani, also known as layered biryani is an authentic recipe from Hyderabadi cuisine. We prepare this Hyderabadi mutton biryani by putting multiple layers of cooked mutton meat and boiled rice and then giving a dum to biryani. To make layer biryani in Hyderabadi style, first we cook mutton and rice separately. Giving dum means to cover the biryani well so no steam should pass easily and give it a very slow cook for 10 minutes. Dum is given to biryani at the end when biryani is almost ready. So let’s start and follow the recipe instructions given in this recipe to see how to make this yummy historical Hyderabadi biryani. #Hyderabadimuttondumbiryani #Hyderabadibiryani #merirasoi #layerbiryanirecipe #dumgoshtbiryani
Step 1 – Fry the Onions for Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani (Layer Dum Biryani)
- Take 4 TBsp Oil in a pan on high flame.
- When Oil is hot, add thinly sliced Onions.
- When Onions are light brown, take them out and keep aside. Do not overcook onions.
Step 2 – Marinate the Mutton for Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani (Layer Biryani)
- Coarsely grind 4 to 5 Green chillies along with 1 TBsp of Water to make a coarse Green chilli paste.
- Take the properly washed mutton meat in large bowl.
- To this mutton meat, add marinating spices. So add Curd, fried Onions, Salt, Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder, Meri Rasoi Special Biryani (See Recipe For This Biryani Masala Here), Coriander Powder, Ginger Garlic Paste (Preferably Homemade), Green Chilli Paste (that we just prepared), Lemon Juice and Coriander Leaves.
- Mix all these spices along with Mutton properly and leave aside for marination for 40 to 60 Minutes.
While mutton meat is marinating, lets boil the Rice for Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani.
Step 3 – Boil the Rice for Biryani
- For 500 Grams of Rice, take 2.5 Liter water in a large and open mouth pot.
- To this water add spices for cooking Rice. So add Bay Leaves, 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds, 2 Nos Green Cardamom, 1 Piece Cinnamon Stick, 1 Tsp Salt, 1 Tsp Vegetable Oil and ½ Tsp Lemon Juice.
- Put this water on Gas flame and let the water start boiling.
- When water starts boiling, add rice.
- Cook the rice on medium flame to cook them up to 90%. Remember, in layered Biryani we cook rice only upto 90%. Rest 10% will be cooked when the Biryani gets a Dum along with Mutton layer.
- Make sure Rice are not broken.
- When rice are almost 90% cooked, strain the water and keep strained Rice aside in a wide pan.
- Keep the strained Rice water too aside for later use.
Now when our Rice our cooked and our mutton also got marinated, lets cook the mutton.
Step 4 – Cook the Mutton for Biryani
- Too cook mutton take 4 TBsp oil in a pressure cooker. You can use the same oil too in which we had fried the Onions.
- When Oil is hot at high flame, add marinated Mutton along with all the spices. (See Video Here).
- Cook the mutton for 6 to 8 Minutes at high flame until the spices start leaving oil out of it.
- When spices start leaving oil, add 1 cup plain water and ½ Rice strained water. Even you can add whole 1.5 Cup of rice strained water instead of plain water.
- Cover the cooker with lid and cook on high flame till the first whistle.
- As when you get the first whistle on high flame, immediately put the gas flame to Low.
- Now at low flame, let the mutton simmer for around 10 Minutes so the mutton will cook nicely at low flame.
- After 10 Minutes, switch off the gas flame but do not open the cooker lid yet. Let the cooker pressure auto-release.
- When the cooker pressure is auto released (approximate 5 to 6 Minutes later), open the lid. Make sure to check if mutton meat is cooked well. If required, you can give it one more whistle.
- Now switch-On the gas again and cook at high flame till the extra water is reduced from Mutton. When extra water is reduced, and oil is separated from spices, your mutton is ready for layering.
Now when we have our Rice and Mutton ready, let’s do the layering for Hyderabad mutton biryani and give it a Dum.
Step 5 – Do the Layering and Give Mutton Biryani a Dum
Now the final step – how to make layered Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani. Follow these simple recipe instructions to cook Hyderabadi mutton biryani.
- To give Biryani a Dum, take a large heavy bottomed pan.
- To this pan, add half of cooked Mutton and make a uniform layer at the bottom of pan. This will make the first layer of Biryani which will be of Mutton meat.
- To make the second layer of Biryani, take half of the cooked Rice and scatter them evenly on first layer of Mutton meat.
- Scatter some fried Onions and a pinch of Red Food Color (Dissolved in 1 Tsp of Water) over the Rice layer. Also sprinkle 2 Tsp of chopped Coriander leaves.
- To make the third layer of Biryani, take all the remaining Mutton meat and put over Rice layer evenly.
- To make fourth layer, take all the remaining Rice and scatter over mutton meat layer evenly.
- Add ½ cup of Rice Strained water.
- Over this final rice layer, again sprinkle remaining friend Onions, Coriander leaves and 1 Tsp Red Food Color water.
- Also add 2 to 3 Tsp of Desi Ghee (Clarified Butter). This will give your biryani an amazing aroma and fantastic taste.
- Now take a clean thick cotton cloth or kitchen towel and put over pan mouth to cover the whole pan mouth properly.
- Over this cloth, put the pan lid. Put some weight over the lid so steam doesn’t pass easily. (See Video Here).
- Let this Biryani cooked covered for 10 Minutes at lowest flame or just little heat. This process is called giving a Dum to Biryani. Do not open the lid before Dum process completes.
- After 10 Minutes, switch off the Gas. Open the lid and you will get your nice, yummy Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani ready. Enjoy!
- Serve hot with your favorite chutney or korma.
Hope you will enjoy your Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani. See few of our great recipes below:
Easy Egg Biryani Recipe | Easy Egg Dum Biryani | Egg Biryani in Kadhai | Anda Biryani
Muradabadi Yakhni Mutton Biryani
Egg Maggi Masala | Breakfast Recipe | Street Style Anda Maggie Masala
Fish Kofta Curry Recipe | Fish Meatball Recipe | Fish Kofta Masala Recipe
Dhaba Style Chicken Keema Recipe | Minced Butter Chicken Recipe | Chicken Keema Recipe