- Mutton500 Gm (Grams)
- Cardamom Black (Badi ilaichi)2 Nos(FOR YAKHNI)
- Cloves (Laung)5 Nos(FOR YAKHNI)
- Black Pepper (Kali Mirch)10 Nos(FOR YAKHNI)
- Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)2 Nos(FOR YAKHNI)
- Fennel Seeds (Saunf)3 Tsp (Teaspoons)(FOR YAKHNI)
- Coriander Seeds (Dhania Sabut)3 Tsp (Teaspoons)(FOR YAKHNI)
- Green Chillies (Hari Mirch)5 Nos(FOR YAKHNI)
- Garlic (Lahsun)2 Nos(FOR YAKHNI) - 2 Whole Garlic Buds
- Onion (Pyaz)2 Nos(FOR YAKHNI) - Whole Onion
- Salt (Namak)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)(FOR YAKHNI)
- Vegetable Oil3 TBsp (Tablespoons)
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Cardamom Black (Badi ilaichi)2 Nos
- Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)1 Nos
- Cardamom Green (Chhoti ilaichi)3 Nos
- Cloves (Laung)5 Nos
- Black Pepper (Kali Mirch)10 Nos
- Star Anise (Chakra Phool)1 Nos
- Mace (Javitri)1 Nos
- Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)2 Nos
- Ginger Garlic Paste (Adrak Lahsun ka Paste)2 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Green Chillies (Hari Mirch)5 Nos
- Salt (Namak)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Curd (Dahi)1.5 Cups
- Tomato (Tamatar)2 NosDiced
- Fried Onions1 TBsp (Tablespoons)
- Saffron Strands (Kesar)1/2 Tsp (Teaspoons)Or 1/4 tsp Red Food Color
Learn how to make Muradabadi Yakhni Mutton Biryani. Muradabadi Yakhni Mutton Biryani or Muradabadi Yakhni Pulao is one of the most popular Mutton Biryani dishes from north Indian cuisine. In this method, a yakhni is prepared from the Mutton meat by boiling mutton meat with whole spices. Then the Mutton meat is fried with spices and curd. And then finally the rice are cooked along with yakhni water and Mutton meat.
This Mutton Yakhni Pulao or yakhni biryani is quite different in taste from Hyderabadi mutton biryani or layered Biryani. In yakhni biryani, as the rice are cooked along with Mutton meat and spices, the spices and meat essence are absorbed by rice, hence enhancing the taste of rice a lot.
Muradabadi biryani has it’s own way of cooking and is loved all around the country, especially in North India, region. You can prepare this muradabadi yakhni biryani either with chicken or mutton. I have prepared the muradabadi mutton biryani here but the process of muradabadi chicken biryani will also remain almost the same. See the recipe instruction for this yummy muradabadi biryani. #muttonbiryani #biryanirecipe #merirasoi #yakhnibiryani
Step 1 – Wash and Soak Basmati Rice for Mutton Dum Biryani
The very first step to make any Biryani is to wash and soak the Rice. And the quality of Rice is very crucial here to make any kind of biryani. You should always try to use high quality Basmati Rice if you really want a perfect Biryani. For this Muradabadi Yakhni Mutton Biryani too, take high quality Basmati Rice.
There are two variations of Basmati Rice available in market. First one is roasted Selha Basmati Rice and the second one is raw white Basmati Rice. You can take any one of these Basmati Rice for this Mutton Dum Biryani. The only difference between two comes into the timing required for soaking the Rice and in giving the “Dum”.
If you are taking white Raw Basmati Rice, then soak the Rice just for 20 to 30 minutes. But if you are taking roasted selha Basmati Rice, then you need to soak the Rice at least for 1 hour before you make the Biryani.
For this biryani we have taken white raw Basmati Rice so we will wash and soak 500 Grams raw Basmati for 20 minutes.
Step 2 – Prepare Yakhni for Muradabadi Yakhni Mutton Dum Biryani
Mutton Yakhni is kind of a Mutton soup cooked along with Mutton meat and some spices. Follow these simple recipe instructions to make Mutton Yakhni for muradabadi Yakhni Mutton pulao or Yakhni Mutton Biryani. See Recipe Video Here.
- Take 500 grams washed mutton in a pressure cooker and add some whole spices.
- In whole spices – add 2 Nos Black Cardamom (बड़ी इलाईची), 4 to 5 Nos Cloves (लौंग), 2 Nos Cinnamon Stick (दालचीनी – 1 inch sized), 8 to 10 Nos Black Peppers (काली मिर्च), 2 Nos Bay Leaf (तेजपत्ता), 3 Tsp Fennel Seeds (सौंफ), 3 Tsp whole Coriander Seeds (साबुत धनिया), 4 to 5 Nos Green Chillies (हरी मिर्च), 2 Nos whole Garlic bulbs (साबुत लहसुन), 2 Nos whole Onions (साबुत प्याज़), 1 Tsp Salt (नमक) and 3 Glasses of water (पानी).
- Mix well and cook covered till 4 to 5 whistles. So the mutton meat will be cooked about 70% here in yakhni. Rest of the 30% will be cooked along with Biryani.
- Then switch off the gas flame and release the cooker pressure. Our mutton yakhni is ready. This mutton yakhni has all the good flavors of spices and the mutton juice. Now pick out and separate the mutton meat and garlic from this yakhni water and keep aside.
- Strain the yakhni to separate all the whole spices and keep this water aside. We will make biryani with this yakhni water.
- You can throw away the strained whole spices remains as they are no longer required. We only will need the yakhni water for further mutton biryani making process.
Step 3 – How to Make Muradabadi Yakhni Mutton Dum Biryani
Time needed: 1 hour.
So as we have the Mutton Yakhni ready, this is the time to make Biryani. Follow these simple recipe instructions to make Muradabadi Yakhni Mutton Dum Biryani.
- Heat 3 TBsp refined oil in a pressure cooker at medium flame.
- When oil is medium hot, add whole spices. So add 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds (जीरा), 2 Nos Black Cardamoms (बड़ी इलाईची), 1 pc Cinnamon Stick (दालचीनी), 3 Nos Green Cardamoms (हरी इलाईची), 4 to 5 Nos Cloves (लौंग), 8 to 10 Nos Black Peppers (काली मिर्च), 1 Nos Star Anise (चक्र फूल), 1 Nos Mace (जावित्री) and 2 Nos Bay Leaves (तेजपत्ता).
Fry these whole spices for about 4 seconds till Cumin seeds start spluttering.
- Keep the gas flame at medium flame and when Cumin seeds start spluttering add Ginger Garlic Paste (अदरक लहसुन पेस्ट). Prefer to use homemade Ginger Garlic Paste. To make Ginger garlic paste at home, take 40% Ginger and 60% Garlic and grind them with little water to make a fine paste.
- Add ¼ Tsp crushed Netmeg (जाइफल) and stir fry for 3 to 4 Minutes at medium flame.
- Then add Mutton (मटन ) pieces which we had separated out from Yakhni water.
- Slit Green Chillies (हरी मिर्च) from middle and add.
- Add 2 Nos diced Tomatoes (टमाटर) and 1 Tsp Salt (नमक). Fry the Mutton for 4 to 5 minutes at high flame.
- Now switch the gas flame to low and add 1 bowl Curd (दही) at low flame. Mix well and switch the gas flame to high.
- Cook for 5 to 6 Minutes till spices start losing oil.
- Then add the Mutton Yakhni Water (यखनी का पानी) that we had strained. For raw Basmati Rice, the quantity of water should be doubled of Rice. So as we have about 1 Glass of Basmati Rice here, total water should be 2 Glasses. If Mutton Yakhni water is not sufficient, add the required amount of plain water to make the total water quantity to 2 G lasses. See Recipe Video Here.
- Add Rice and give a gentle mix. Then cover normally. We do not have to give it whistle, so do not pressure cook. Just loosely cover with a lid.
- After two minutes, check the Salt in Biryani water and adjust as per your taste. The salt in Biryani water should be little upside of actual Salt required in Biryani.
- When the mutton biryani has very less water left in Rice bottom and the Biryani Rice are about 90% cooked, sprinkle fried Onions on top of the Rice.
- Dissolve a pinch of Red food color or saffron in 2 Tsp water and sprinkle this water on Biryani.
- Now we have to give this Muradabadi Yakhni Biryani a “Dum”. To give the “Dum”, cover the cooker lid tightly. Keep the gas flame ON for 1 to 2 Minutes and then switch off the Gas. See Recipe Video Here.
- Leave the cooker as it is until the cooker pressure is auto-released. This may take about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Then open the lid and your yummy Muradabadi Mutton Yakhni Biryani is ready. Serve hot with your favorite Chutney and Riata.
Hope you will enjoy this yummy Muradabadi Mutton Yakhni Pulao (Yakhni Biryani). Now check out few more great recipes from Meri Rasoi.
Lal Masoor Dal Tadka Recipe | Lal Masoor Dal Recipe | Red Lentils Recipe | ढाबा स्टाइल लाल मसूर दाल
Indian Masala Omelette Recipe | Spicy Omelets Recipe | नार्मल आमलेट से हो बोर तो बनाइये मसाला आमलेट
Restaurant Style Mutter Paneer Recipe | एकदम रेस्टोरेंट जैसा मटर पनीर घर पे बनायें बिलकुल आसानी से
Home Made Biryani Masala Recipe | How to Make Biryani Masala at Home | Biryani Masala
Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani | Mutton Dum Biryani Recipe | Layer Biryani Recipe
Restaurant Style Chilli Chicken | Chilli Chicken Recipe | Chinese Chicken
Restaurant Style Chicken 65 Recipe | Easy Chicken 65 Recipe
Kadai Chicken Recipe | How To Make Kadai Chicken | Restaurant Style