- Fish (Machhli)1 Kg (Kilograms)Preferably Rohu Fish, Cut into large pieces
- Potato (Aloo)2 NosLarge sized, cut into large cubes
- Coriander Leaves (Hara Dhania)1/2 Cupschopped
- Tomato (Tamatar)4 NosGrind 4 large Tomatoes to make Tomato Puree
- Onion (Pyaz)4 NosGrind 4 large Onions to make Onion Paste
- Garam Masala Powder1 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Ginger Garlic Paste (Adrak Lahsun ka Paste)2 Tsp (Teaspoons)Preferably homemade
- Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Nigella Seed (Kalonji)1/4 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Fenugreek Seeds (Methi Dana)1/4 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Salt (Namak)1.5 Tsp (Teaspoons)or to taste
- Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Turmeric Powder (Haldi Powder)1/2 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Mustard Oil (Sarson ka Tel)3 TBsp (Tablespoons)
Fish Masala Curry Recipe, Fish Masala Recipe, Fish Curry Recipe, or Fish Aloo Masala Recipe whatever name you know it with but ultimately this is a Fish Recipe made with Aloo (Potato). Though you can make this Fish Masala Curry Recipe without Aloo (Potato) too but believe me, if you make it with Aloo, it will taste double than that of without Aloo.
In addition, when we make Fish with Aloo, the fish essence is absorbed in potatoes and even the potatoes amazingly taste like Fish itself. Though this recipe is for Fish Masala Recipe the method for making Fish Curry Recipe is also the same. You just need to add 1 cup of water at the end and you will get your yummy Fish Curry Recipes. Fish Masala Recipe is a North Indian Recipe and is popular in the whole Asian continent. So let’s see how to prepare this yummy and spicy Fish Masala Curry Recipe at home.
Preparation Steps for Fish Masala Recipe or Fish Curry Recipe
Time needed: 40 minutes.
Whether you make Fish Masala or Fish Curry, the recipe is the same for both. Follow these simple steps to prepare this yummy fish recipe.
- Heat 3 TBsp oil in a non-stick large skillet. When the oil is medium hot add Fenugreek seeds (Methi Dana), Nigella seeds (Kalonji), and Cumin seeds (Jeera).
- Fry for half a minute and when Cumin seeds (Jeera) start spluttering, add onion paste. Roast onion paste covered on high heat for around 10 minutes. You really need to roast the onion paste well. Keep stirring in between.
- Then add Ginger Garlic Paste and roast covered for 5 more minutes. Roasting is very important for this recipe. So make sure that all spices should be well roasted. (See Video)
- Then add the Tomato puree and 1.5 Tsp of Salt, and then roast this mixture covered for 5 to 7 more minutes. Salt will help cooking Tomatoes faster. Keep stirring in between.
- Now let’s add remaining spices. Add coriander powder, Red chili powder, and Turmeric powder. Mix well and roast these spices on high heat until spices start leaving oil.
- When masala is well roasted, now let’s add potatoes (Aloo) and roast Masala with Aloo for around 7 to 8 more minutes so that Potatoes should be 80% cooked along with Spices. Rest 20% will be cooked along with Fish pieces, so make sure to cook Potatoes only up to 80% at this step.
- Check with the help of a fork and when Potatoes are cooked approximate up to 80%, then add Garam Masala Powder and 4 to 5 Green Chilies (slit from the middle) and Mix well.
- Now add fish pieces gently one by one and cook on medium-high heat for around 8 to 10 minutes. Keep Shaking the skillet in between so the fish pieces should not stick at bottom of the pan. But do not use any spoon etc. to flip fishes otherwise fish pieces will be broken out. (See Video)
- After 8 to 10 minutes of covered cooking, check Potatoes if they are well cooked. Now add coriander leaves and shake the pan a little to mix.
- Then let’s give the final touch to this recipe. Put the flame on high heat for 1 minute and then just switch off the flame. Do not open the lid but let it cool itself for around 6 to 8 minutes.
- And your spicy Fish Masala Curry Recipe is ready. Serve hot with Roti, Paratha or Rice.
Want to see this Fish Masala Recipe (Fish Curry Recipe) in action? See the video here at our Official Meri Rasoi YouTube Channel. Subscribe to our YouTube Channel to get all recipes updates on the fly.
So, I hope you will enjoy this Fish Narial Chutney Recipe. Now let’s check out a few other great recipes from Meri Rasoi.