- Bread Slices4 slices Noswhite crusts removed and cut into quarters
- Saffron Strands (Kesar)1/4 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Water (Paani)1 Cups
- Sugar (Chini)2.5 Cups
- Pistachio Nuts (Pista)1 TBsp (Tablespoons)thinly sliced
- Raisins (Kishmish)2 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Clarified Butter (Ghee)for deep frying
- Almonds (Badam)1 TBsp (Tablespoons)thinly sliced
- *** FOR RABADI ***
- Milk (Doodh)1.5 L (Liters)
- Condensed Milk4 TBsp (Tablespoons)
- Bread Crumbs1/4 Cupsbreadcrumb of half slice
- Cardamom Green Powder (Chhoti ilaichi Powder)1/4 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Nutmeg Powder (Jaifal Powder)1/4 Tsp (Teaspoons)
Shahi toast recipe or Shahi tukda recipe is a Hyderabadi Indian dessert recipe and is a very delicious sweet dish from India. Though it comes from Hyderabadi cuisine but its very popular in North India as well. If you ever visit Old Delhi, you can easily find this delicious sweet dish being sold in street market near Jama Masjid. Making shahi toast at home is very easy and more hygienic. Let see how can you prepare your Shahi Toast at home.
Preparation Steps for Shahi Tukda Recipe or Shahi Toast Recipe
Shahi toast or shahi tukda will be prepared in two steps i.e. “Preparing Rabadi” and Preparing “Shahi Toast”.
- Take all the ingredients for rabadi i.e. Milk, Condensed Milk, Bread Crumbs, Green Cardamom (Chhoti ilaaychi) Powder and Nutmeg (Jaayfal) Powder in a thick bottomed non-stick pan.
- Keep on high flame until it comes to boil.
- When the mixture starts boiling, reduce the flame and let it simmer for a around 15 to 20 minutes while keep stirring continuously.
- Keep Simmering until the rabadi gets thick. When rabadi gets thicken, its ready; lets keep it aside.
Prepare Shahi Toast (Shahi Tukda)
- Take ghee in a frying pan and heat on medium flame.
- When the ghee is medium hot (not too hot), add the bread pieces to it and fry until golden brown.
- When bread slices are golden brown, take them out and put on a kitchen paper to remove the excess ghee from them.
- Now take water in a vessel and boil it with sugar for five minutes.
- After 5 minutes of boiling, add saffron to it and continue boiling for few more minutes until sugar syrup is prepared. Make sure sugar syrup is neither too thin nor not too thick. It should be of medium consistency so that bread slices could soak it.
- Take the bread slices and dip into this prepared sugar syrup for 30 seconds.
- Take them out and arrange on a serving plate.
- Pour the prepared rabadi over bread slices to cover whole slices and garnish with crushed nuts, cardamoms and raisins. Keep in refrigerator until chilled. Serve chilled.
You might want to look at few other selected recipes from or collection
You can decorate it with a layer of silver foil if planning to serve to guests. (Optional)