- Khoya (Mawa)1 Kg (Kilograms)
- Powdered Sugar (Chini Powder)500 Gm (Grams)
- All Purpose Flour (Maida)500 Gm (Grams)
- Water (Paani)1 Cups
- Almonds (Badam)200 Gm (Grams)chopped
- Vegetable Oil1/2 Cupsfor kneeding dough
- Raisins (Kishmish or Munakka)3 TBsp (Tablespoons)
- Cashews Nuts (Kaju)1/2 TBsp (Tablespoons)chopped
- Pistachio Nuts (Pista)1/2 TBsp (Tablespoons)chopped
- Cardamom Green Powder (Chhoti ilaichi Powder)1/2 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Clarified Butter (Ghee)for deep frying gujias
Sweet Gujia Recipe is associated with the festivals of Holi and Diwali in India. Sweet Gujia, a popular sweet dish from North Indian cuisne is sweet of a crisp, flaky pastry filled with a yummy sweet khoya (Mawa) and dry fruits inside. You can compare it to Karanji which is something similar to Gujia with slight difference. Karanji is popular in Maharashtra and stuffed with Coconut, Dry Fruits, Poppy seeds and Sesame seeds. While the Guijiya has a stuffing of Khoya (Mawa) with dry fruits. Let see how to make this delicious sweet snack at home.
Preparation Steps for Gujia Recipe
Gujias are prepared in three small and easy steps. In first step we prepare the dough. In second step we will prepare the filling (stuffing) and in third step we will prepare the Gujias.
Step 1 – Prepare Dough for Sweet Gujia Recipe
- Add 1/2 cup of vegetable oil into all purpose flour (Maida) and kneed it well using your hands and fingers to make a soft dough. Add little water if needed.
- Cover the dough with a wet cloth and leave aside for 30 to 40 minutes.
Step 2 – Prepare Filling (Stuffing) for Sweet Gujia Recipe
- Heat 1 TBsp of Ghee in a skillet on medium flame and add crumbled Khoya in it. Stir fry the khoya till it begins to gather around itself.
- Switch off the gas and take the Khoya out to keep it in a separate bowl. Let the khoya cool properly.
- When the khoya is completely cool, add chopped Nuts, powdered Sugar, Cardamon (Chhoti ilaaychi) powder and Raisins to it and mix well, then keep this stuffing aside.
Step 3 – Prepare Gujias
- Prepare a small and thick chapati from the kneaded dough and stuff half of the chapati with khoya stuffing mixture.
- Then fold and draw the edges of chapati inwards to close edges properly. Do this with all remaining dough and filling mixture to make all the Gujias.
- Now heat the Ghee or Refined oil in a deep skillet on medium-slow heat and deep fry gujias till they become golden brown. Once Gujias turn golden brown, drain out using a sieve and store them in an airtight container.
Check out some other great recipes from Meri Rasoi.
Aloo Chat Recipe
Chilli Fish Recipe
Homemade Vegetable Stock Recipe
Khasta Urad Dal Kachori Recipe
Baked Sweet Gujia Recipe
The same Gujias can also be baked instead of frying them. To bake Gujias, preheat the oven at 220 degree C (390 degree F). Brush the melted ghee all around gujias. Place in a baking tray and bake for 20-30 minutes till they turn golden in color. Keep checking in between. Once baked, let the gujia cool on a wire rack. When the gujias are cool, keep them in air tight container. Enjoy your crispy baked Gujias.
wow… it really looks yummy…