- Semolina (Suji, Rawa)1.5 Cups(FOR PURI)
- Water (Paani)1 Cups(FOR PURI) - Take Warm Water
- Vegetable Oilfor frying(FOR PURI) - for Dough Making and for Deep Frying
- Baking Soda1/4 Tsp (Teaspoons)(FOR PURI)
- Salt (Namak)1/4 Tsp (Teaspoons)(FOR PURI)
- Water (Paani)2 L (Liters)(FOR PAANI)
- Tamarind (Imli)1/2 Cups(FOR PAANI)
- Lemon Juice (Neembu Ras)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)(FOR PAANI)
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)(FOR PAANI)
- Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch Powder)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)(FOR PAANI)
- Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)(FOR PAANI)
- Jal Jeera2 Tsp (Teaspoons)(FOR PAANI) - (Optional)
- Coriander Leaves (Hara Dhania)1/2 Cups(FOR PAANI)
- Mint Leaves (Pudina)2 Tsp (Teaspoons)(FOR PAANI)
- Salt (Namak)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)(FOR PAANI) - (or to taste)
- Potato (Aloo)1 Nos(FOR FILLING) boiled and diced
- Chickpeas Black (Kala Chana)1/2 Cups(FOR FILLING) soaked for 4 hours and then boiled
- Chickpeas White (Kabuli Chana)1/2 Cups(FOR FILLING) soaked for 4 hours and boiled
I am sure that the name of Pani puri must make your mouth watering. Pani puri is a very famous Indian snacks and street food. Though girls are just fond of pani puri (gol gappa) but it is equally liked by everybody. Pani puri (gol gappa) is a yummy spicy snack item that is served all over the country. Preparation of crispy pani puri initially may look difficult to you but believe me, its very easy. Gol gappa (puri) is accompanied by tasty, spicy and tangy water (pani) and gol gappa filling. See the preparation steps for pani puri recipe (gol gappa recipe) below.
Preparation Steps for Semolina (Sooji) Pani Puri Recipe (Gol Gappa Recipe)
We will make the Pani puri Recipe (Gol Gappa Recipe) in three very easy steps. In Step 1 we will make Puris (Golgappa). Then in Step 2 we will make Pani (Water) for puri. And then in Step 3, we will make filling mixture.
Step 1 – Make Puris
Follow these simple steps to make Gol Gappa (Pani Puri) of Suji (Semolina).
- Take the semolina (sooji or suji) in a bowl and add 2 TBsp of Vegetable Oil. Knead with this vegetable oil well. When oil is well mixed with Suji add Baking Soda and Salt.
- Then knead the dough again; add warm water as required while kneading to make a hard dough.
- Then cover the dough with a wet cloth and keep aside for 1-2 hours. Make sure that the kneaded dough should be hard enough.
- Now after 1 to 2 hours, divide the dough into small balls (1 TBsp of dough for one ball) and roll each dough ball one by one into large and chapattis. Don’t make them too thin.
- Take a round, medium sized (around 1 inch in diameter) lid of any bottle and cut one chapatti into small round shaped pooris (gol gappas) with this lid. Repeat the same process with all large chapatis to make small gol gappa chapatis.
- Then roll these small chapatis a little with roller (Belan). Remember, do not make them too thin or too large in size. 2 inch is the ideal length of a gol gappa chapati.
- Now heat the oil in a deep and heavy bottom skillet over high flame. When the oil is hot, add puris one by one gently. When puris are fried from one side, reduce the flame to medium and flip the pooris to cook from other side. Do not overcook.
- Note : As when you add pooris in skillet, gently start flickering oil over them. This will make them swallow properly. Make sure that puris are not overcooked and they are not burnt.
- When done, take the puris out of the oil and put on a kitchen paper towel to remove excess oil.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: If the oil is hot and the kneaded flour is hard enough, then the fried puris will absorb very less oil and the pooris will be very crispy. On the other hand, if the kneaded flour is not hard enough, then they will absorb more oil and you will not be able to fry the poori from both sides as it will be difficult to turn the poori upside down. So make sure that your dough is hard enough and the oil is hot.
- Your puris are ready, repeat the same process with all puris and keep aside to let them cool.
Step 2 – Make Spicy Tangy Pani for Golgappa (Pani Puri) Recipe
- Soak Tamarind (imli) in 1 cup of warm water for 30 minutes. Then after 30 minutes mash the tamarind (imli) in same water and sieve. Add Jal Jeera to this Tamarind water and Keep aside.
- Then take all the remaining ingredients (FOR PANI) into a Grinder and Grind well to form a mint chutney. Add little water if needed to make a paste.
- Then add the above prepared Tamarind water into this Mint Chutney and mix well. Your PAANI (Water) for Golgappa is ready. Keep aside.
Step 3 – Make Filling (Stuffing)
- Mix all the filling ingredients well and keep aside.
Lets Serve The Pani Puri (Gol Gappa)
When the Puri (Golgappa), Pani (Water for Golgappa) and the Filling (Stuffing for Golgappa) are ready, take one Puri and make a small hole at the top with your thumb. Then put some filling mixture into the puri (poori), dip in water and serve.
Alternatively, serve 5 to 6 puris in a plate along with some fillings aside in the same plate, and some water in a glass.
So, hope you will enjoy your Pani Puri. Now lets check out few other great recipes from Meri Rasoi.
Chilli Fish Recipe
Chilli Gobi (Chilli Cauliflower) Recipe
Chicken Momos Recipe
Vegetable Raita Recipe
Homemade Vegetable Stock Recipe