- Rice (Chawal)2 Cups
- White Lentils (Urad Dal Safed)1/2 Cups
- Chickpeas Split (Chana Dal)1/3 Cups
- Fenugreek Seeds (Methi Dana)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Vegetable Oil1 TBsp (Tablespoons)
- Curry Leaves (Kari Patta)2 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Onion (Pyaz)2 Noschopped
- Green Chillies (Hari Mirch)4 Nosthinly chopped
- Ginger Fresh (Adrak)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)thinly chopped
- Mustard Seeds (Sarson ke Daane)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Turmeric Powder (Haldi Powder)1/2 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Potato (Aloo)6 Nosboiled and mashed
- Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)1/2 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Salt (Namak)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)1/2 tsp for filling, 1/2 tsp for batter
- Coriander Leaves (Hara Dhania)1/4 Cups
Masala Dosa Recipe is another famous South Indian Dosa Recipe. With an origin in south India, Masala Dosa is widely used in most of the world especially in Asian continent. Below are the preparation steps for this very tasty and crispy Masala Dosa Recipe.
Preparation Steps for Masala Dosa Recipe
To understand easily we will make this Masala Dosa Recipe in three easy steps. So lets see it step by step.
Step 1 – Prepare Batter for Masala Dosa Recipe
- In a big pot, add Rice, Urad Dal, Chana Daal and Fenugreek Seeds and wash properly.
- After wash, soak them in water for at least 6 hours.
- Now take them out from soaked water and grind together in a mixer. Do not throw out the remaining soaking water, instead use this same water for grinding as when required. This water helps in fermentation of batter.
- Make a smooth paste out of all these four items. Make sure the batter is neither too fine nor too coarse, rather make it of medium consistency. Grind in batches so that grinder Jar do not get heat. This heating of Jar can mess up the batter quality.
- Now take this batter in a large vessel and make it fluffy by stirring with your hands rapidly for at least 5 minutes. Stirring with hands well will add air to the batter so it will have a nice fluffy consistency.
- DO NOT add Salt at this stage because the Salt will make fermentation process difficult. We will add the Salt after fermentation.
- Now cover the vessel with lid and cover it all along with a thick cloth, then keep for around 7 to 8 hours so it should have well fermentation. Make sure batter is well fermented. So that you know, the well fermented batter will start bubbling inside. Keep for 2 to 3 more hours if there is cold weather around.
Step 2 – Prepare Masala (Stuffing) for Dosa Filling
- Now when the batter is ready, lets prepare the Dosa filling (stuffing). Heat the oil in a pan and add Mustard Seeds into it.
- When the Mustard seeds start spluttering, add Curry Leaves, chopped Onions, chopped Green Chillis, chopped Ginger and Turmeric Powder to it. Stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- When the Onions are light brown (translucent), add mashed Potatoes, 1/2 Tsp Salt, Red Chilli Powder and Coriander Leaves. Stir fry this mixture for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Your masala is ready to be filled in the dosa, take this out of flame and keep aside in a bowl.
Step 3 – Now Lets Your Make Masala Dosa
- Now lets go to our batter. Add 1/2 tsp of Salt and mix well. Make sure our batter should be of a flowing consistency so that it can pour from the Ladle easily. Add little water if required (The same soak remaining water).
- Now heat your flat Dosa Tawa.
- AND HERE IS THE TRICK – Your Dosa Tawa should be hot but right before you pour batter on the tawa, it should not be that much hot for few seconds. And then again after pouring the batter it should regain it’s hotness quickly. To achieve this what you have to do is, let the Tawa become hot and right before pouring batter, sprinkle 1/4 cup of water on tawa and swipe this water with a towel. (see the video)
- Right after wiping it, pour one big spoon (Ladle) of batter in center of Tawa and spread it in circular shape with the help of Ladle back side. Keep the flame high at this time
- When dosa is cooked and brown at bottom side, change the flame to medium heat and take one spoonful of prepared masala and put it in the center of dosa, spread a little.
- Once our Dosa looks crispy at bottom side, your masala dosa is ready. Fold carefully with the help of flat spatula and serve hot with Coconut Chutney and Sambhar .
Hope you will enjoy making your Masala Dosa at home. Now lets check out few other great recipes from our Menu.