- Chickpeas Split (Chana Dal)1 Cups(wash and soak for 1 to 2 hours)
- Rice (Chawal)2 Cups(Basmati Rice - wash and soak for 30 Minutes)
- Onion (Pyaz)1 NosChopped
- Tomato (Tamatar)1 NosChopped
- Curd (Dahi)1/2 Cups
- Ginger Garlic Paste (Adrak Lahsun ka Paste)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)Preferably Homemade
- Green Chillies (Hari Mirch)3 NosSliced
- Salt (Namak)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Vegetable Oil3 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Black Pepper (Kali Mirch)10 Nos
- Cloves (Laung)4 Nos
- Cardamom Black (Badi ilaichi)2 Nos
- Cardamom Green (Chhoti ilaichi)2 Nos
- Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)1 Nos1 inch pc
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)2 Nos
Learn how to make Chana Dal Pulao (Chana Dal Biryani) at home in simple Chana Dal Pulao Recipe. Some people call it Chana Dal pulao and some call it Chana Dal Khichdi. However, there is a slight difference in chana dal pulao and chana dal khichdi. Chana dal pulao is prepared with few more spices while chana dal khichdi is prepared with very less spices. Chana pulao is very easy and tasty recipe and best served with pickle, chutney and curd (dahi). So let’s see the recipe instructions for this easy Chana dal pulao recipe and see how to make this yummy chana dal pulao with very few steps. #chanadalpulaorecipe #vegpulaorecipe #merirasoi
Step 1 – Preparation for Making Chana Dal Pulao Recipe
Before we start making Chana Dal Pulao, we have to was and soak the Rice and Split Chickpeas (Chan Dal). So follow these instructions below to soak them.
- Wash 1 Cup of Split Chickpeas (Chana Dal) and soak for 2 hours.
- Wash 2 Cups of raw Basmati Rice and soak for 30 minutes.
See This Chana Dal Biryani Recipe (Chana Dal Pulao) Video Here.
Step 2 – Fry the Onions For Chana Dal Biryani
- Heat 3 TBsp Oil in a pressure cooker at high flame.
NOTE – Though the pressure cooker is not required to fry Onions but we will use the same remaining Oil to cook our Chana Dal Pulao and that we will cook in Pressure Cooker. So it’s better to take the Pressure cooker from start so you do not need to transfer the Oil from frying pan into pressure Cooker while making Chana Dal Pulao.
- When the Oil is properly hot, add 2 Nos thinly sliced Onions and fry for 3 to 4 minutes till the Onions turn to light golden brown.
NOTE – Remember that you need to fry the Onions only at high flame and the Oil must be super-hot before you add Onions. If the Oil temperature is not proper, the fried Onions will not remain crispy but will turn to be soggy.
- When Onions turn to light golden brown, take them out in a plate and keep aside.
See This Chana Dal Biryani (Chana Dal Khichdi) Recipe Video Here.
Step 3 – See How to Make Chan Dal Pulao (Chana Dal Biryani or Chana Dal Khichdi)
Time needed: 30 minutes.
So we have the fried Onions ready which we will use later, let’s now start making our Chana Dal Pulao. We will use the same remaining oil for further cooking which we had fried the Onions in. So follow these simple recipe instructions for your tasty Chana Dal Biryani Recipe.
- Switch the gas flame to medium and in the same remaining Oil, add Cumin Seeds (जीरा) and fry for 30 seconds.
- Then add other whole spices – so add 2 Nos Bay Leaves (तेजपत्ता), 8 to 10 Nos Black Peppers (काली मिर्च), 4 to 5 Nos Cloves (लौंग), 2 Nos Black Cardamoms (बड़ी इलाइची), 2 Nos Green Cardamoms (छोटी इलाइची) and 1 Stick Cinnamon Stick (दालचीनी).
- Fry these whole spices for about 1 minute and then add 1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste, preferably homemade.
(To make Ginger garlic paste at home take 40% Ginger and 60% Garlic and grind them with little water to make a fine paste. You can preserve this homemade Ginger Garlic paste for about 15 days in refrigerator)
- Fry for a minute and then switch the gas flame to low as we now have to add the Curd. And you should always add Curd in any recipe at low flame only.
- Add ½ cup Curd. Also add half of the fried Onions that we had fried in first step above. Keep half of the fried Onions for later use. These fried Onions will give a wonderful aroma to your Chana Dal Biryani.
- Then add 1 Nos chopped Tomato and also add 1 Tsp Salt so it will help tomatoes cook faster. Cook covered for 4 to 5 minutes at medium flame so the Tomatoes are cooked well.
- Slit 3 to 4 Nos Green Chillies from middle and add to cooker.
- Now switch the gas flame to high and add soaked Split Chickpeas (Chana Dal).
- Add 1 glass of water and pressure cook the Chan Dal up to two whistles.
- After two whistles, switch off the gas but do not yet open the cooker lid. Leave it for 5 minutes and then open the cooker lid.
- Check the Chana Dal, it should be cooked up to 90% by now. Rest 10% will be cooked along with Rice.
- Now our Chana Dal is cooked so let’s add the soaked Rice to cooker.
- Then add two glasses of water and gently mix once. Check the salt in biryani water and adjust as per your taste.
- Then cover the cooker lid and cook Chana Dal Pulao (Chana Dal Khichdi) only up to 1 whistle.
Remember, we have used Raw Basmati Rice which were soaked for 30 minutes. So 1 whistle is enough to cook our Chana Dal Khichdi (Chana Dal Pulao or Chana Dal Biryani).
- After you get one whistle, immediately switch off the gas and release the cooker pressure.
- Open the lid and spread remaining fried Onions on Chana Dal Biryani (Split Chickpeas Biryani)
- Serve hot with Chutney and Curd.
Hope you will enjoy this spicy and yummy Chana Dal Biryani Recipe. Now check out few more great recipes from Meri Rasoi.
Lal Masoor Dal Tadka Recipe | Lal Masoor Dal Recipe | Red Lentils Recipe | ढाबा स्टाइल लाल मसूर दाल
Indian Masala Omelette Recipe | Spicy Omelets Recipe | नार्मल आमलेट से हो बोर तो बनाइये मसाला आमलेट
Restaurant Style Mutter Paneer Recipe | एकदम रेस्टोरेंट जैसा मटर पनीर घर पे बनायें बिलकुल आसानी से
Home Made Biryani Masala Recipe | How to Make Biryani Masala at Home | Biryani Masala
Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani | Mutton Dum Biryani Recipe | Layer Biryani Recipe
Restaurant Style Chilli Chicken | Chilli Chicken Recipe | Chinese Chicken
Restaurant Style Chicken 65 Recipe | Easy Chicken 65 Recipe
Kadai Chicken Recipe | How To Make Kadai Chicken | Restaurant Style