- Chickpeas Black (Kala Chana)1.5 Cupssoaked in water for 6 to 8 hours
- Green Chillies (Hari Mirch)3 Nosthinly chopped
- Red Chilli Whole Dried (Sukhi Laal Mirch Sabut)4 Nos
- Ginger Fresh (Adrak)1 inch piecepeeled and cut into small pieces
- Garlic (Lahsun)8 to 10 cloves
- Onion (Pyaz)2 Nosroughly chopped
- Coriander Leaves (Hara Dhania)1/4 Cups
- Lemon Juice (Neembu Ras)2 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)1/2 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)1/2 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Cumin Powder (Jeera Powder)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)Roast the cumin seeds and grind to make powder
- Turmeric Powder (Haldi Powder)1/2 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Salt (Namak)1 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Bread Slices3 Nos
- Vegetable Oil2 TBsp (Tablespoons)refined oil. for shallow fry
- Curd (Dahi)1 TBsp (Tablespoons)Hung Curd
- Garam Masala Powder1/2 Tsp (Teaspoons)
- Egg (Anda)2 NosOptional
Vegetable Kabab Recipe is a South Indian Appetizer Recipe. There are variety of Vegetable Kabab Recipes found in India and this one is prepared by frying the kabab balls made with a fine paste of black grams mixed with other ingredients. Vegetable kabab is good alternative for those who like kababs but can’t eat non-veg/meat. So let see how to prepare these tasty Vegetable Kababs at home.
Preparation Steps for Vegetable Kabab Recipe
So lets start – follow these simple steps to prepare your tasty Vegetable Kabas.
- Wash the Black Grams properly and soak into water for 6 to 8 hours.
- After soaking strain all the soaking water (just keep 1/2 cup of this water for future use).
- Then take the soaked Black Grams in a pressure cooker and add Ginger pieces, Whole Dried Red Chillis and Garlic Cloves. Then boil all these four ingredients together in the pressure cooker properly. It will take 5 to 6 whistles to boil them properly.
- Switch off the gas and let the pressure cooker cool without opening lid. Then take the boiled Black Grams out and strain all the water. The Black Grams must be dry before we go to next step so you can just spread the Black grams on a cotton cloth under a Fan for 30 minutes so they are completely dry and no moister remains in them.
- Now when the Black Grams are properly dried, grind them along with all the boiled ingredients and all the remaining ingredients in a grinder. Grind in chunks so that they could grind properly. Make a fine mixutre.
- Then Mix the mixture well with your hands. If required, add a little water (same soaking water which we kept in cup) so that you can make the medium sized firm kabab balls from the paste.
- Then make medium sized Vegetable Kabab tikkis from the above prepared paste.
- Beat two raw eggs properly and pour them in a flat plate. We will use this to dip and make a thin covering of raw Egg around the Kababs.
Note – This step is totally optional. If you are pure vegetarian, you can leave the eggs.
- Then Heat oil in a wide frying pan/ flat kadhai on high heat. Please note that we have to shallow fry the kababs NOT to deep fry.
- Then once oil is hot, reduce the heat to medium-low flame, take a Kabab and dip into Raw Egg content. Shake to remove extra raw contents from Kabab and then gently place it into oil. Do this with remaining Kabas. You may need to fry in few batches depending on your frying pan size.
NOTE – Egg layering should not be thick. We just need to have very light layer.
- Shallow fry the vegetable kabab tikkis on medium-low flame till they are light brown in color from one side. Now flip the Kababs gently to cook from other side.
Please make sure to fry only on medium-low heat. Do not overcook.
- When fried to be light brown from both sides, take them out on a kitchen towel or tissue paper to removoe access Oil.
- And here you go – your Yummy Vegetable Kababs are ready. Serve hot with Green Chutney or your favorite Sauce along with a cup of hot Tea.
Check out these great recipes too from Meri Rasoi